Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Drink With a Merry Heart!

Drink With a Merry Heart!
One of the great gifts parents can teach their children, I believe, is a healthy attitude toward food and drink. "Everything in moderation" is a great adage. If it's food or drink, families should talk about being healthy in what they partake and setting healthy boundaries for consumption....just my opinion!

So, let's talk about drinks. I will admit, I like mixing drinks. I love creative concoctions that taste delicious and are pleasing to the eye. 

During a recent visit from some of our oldest and closest friends, we tried some drink recipes I have been saving for a special occasion. Some are "adult-only" and others are all-age-friendly. The most important parts were presentation and taste.

Presentation
I love eclectic glasses and goblets. But, thanks to the "gracefulness" of my family (me included!), I refuse to get too attached to breakable stemware because breakage happens.  So, my favorite place to look for glasses and serving containers is Goodwill on their half-off days. I have found some of the BEST glasses and goblets there...and it goes to a great organization! 

The other little tip..."fresh" is pretty. From a slice of fruit on the rim to a pinch of herb tucked into the glass, something fresh gives a plain-Jane glass visual appeal.

Taste
My sister-in-law can tell a fancy-smancy wine from Trader Joe's 3-Buck Chuck. Me...not so much. I can tell you if I like the flavor, or not. Sometimes I like the really "good" wine....sometimes I don't. When it comes to mixed drinks, you can cheat and buy a less expensive liquor. What it comes down to is finding the taste you prefer. 

Here are two of the "winning" recipes from our summer get-together. We decided these are keepers! Again, have fun with the measurements and find the taste that suits you best.

Tequila Sangria
In each glass, distribute the fruit:
Pineapple slices
Orange slices
Blackberries
Lime wedges
(Other fruit ideas include watermelon, raspberries, kiwi or mango)
Add a couple ice cubes to each glass

In a separate container, mix the following, then pour into each glass:
2 parts tequila
1 part elderflower liqueur (I used peach - couldn't find elderflower!)
1 part simple syrup (recipe below)
2 parts pineapple juice
1 part orange juice

Gently stir to mix ingredients, then slowly pour a small amount of red wine over the top. We used a nice red from Spain that we picked up at BevMo. The red wine will sit on the top, creating a beautiful drink.

Simple Syrup
This sugary mixture is a staple in many mixed drinks. Make a large batch and keep on hand.

In a saucepot, mix equal parts sugar and water. Heat over medium, stirring frequently, until sugar completely dissolves. Allow to cool completely before using.

Tequila Sangria

Next, an all-age-friendly drink that was a hit in our house...with kids AND adults.

Hawaiian Lava Flow
 Be sure to use clear cups for this refreshing drink.

In a pitcher combine:
Equal parts pineapple juice and cream of coconut (I used Coco Lopez)
(the original recipe suggests 46 oz juice and 40 oz  Coco)
Add
1 pint half and half
Set aside.

In a blender combine:
1 package frozen strawberries in syrup and a little water (mixture should be thick)

Pour strawberry mixture in your cups - about 1/2 to 1-inch high, depending on size of glass

Clean out blender. Add ice and pour pineapple mixture to the level of the ice. Blend until smooth and pour over strawberry mixture. The strawberries will "ooze" up the sides of the cup.  Serve with a pineapple slice and a straw.

**Adult Version**
For a fun rum version, add a coconut rum, such as Malibu, to your pineapple mixture. Delicious!



Hawaiian Lava Flow
Again, I have to thank Pinterest for the great links!






No comments:

Post a Comment