Sunday, July 29, 2012

BBQ Chicken

BBQ Chicken

We BBQ every chance we get....rain or shine! And, any meal - breakfast, lunch or dinner! When my hubby BBQ's, it's usually with charcoal, but this last year we bought a BBQ'er with charcoal on one side, propane on the other, and a burner on the side. 

  
On the Barbie: Teriyaki Chicken, potatoes and veggies (bell pepper, onion and garlic)
Our family favorite is BBQ chicken, corn and potatoes. And when it comes to making marinades for grilling, the sky's the limit. You can make your own from scratch, pick up a pre-made marinade at the store, or even embellish a marinade to make it semi-homemade.

I think the key to delicious chicken from the BBQ is to allow your chicken to bake for short periods, then baste and allow a "shell" to form around the outside to seal in the flavors. Then, bake a little more. With chicken, you must be patient. Let your coals turn white and glowing, or heat your propane grill to medium-high. If your heat source is too hot, you will end up with charred bird.

Semi-homemade Marinade for Chicken

With chicken, I often use a bottle of Italian dressing as my base. Then, I add fresh garlic (halved), citrus juice (orange is my favorite, but I've used lemon, lime and grapefruit) and some fresh herbs, such as basil or oregano. This same base can be used for veggies, as well, but I like to mix up the flavors. Then, I marinate my chicken for an hour or overnight. Remember, if you like to baste your meat, reserve some of the marinade in a separate container. Don't use the marinade that your meat has been sitting in. 

We love Japanese food around our house, so teriyaki is a flavor I go to often. It's delicious, and it gives grilled meat a beautiful color...and it's simple to make.

Teriyaki Marinade
(Note: there is usually a houseful around here, so I always make extra. If we don't eat it all, the leftover chicken ends up in a salad the next day.)

Whisk together:
1/2 cup sake
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup sesame oil
Fresh ginger, grated
5 cloves garlic, minced
Green onions, chopped

Reserve a small amount of marinade in a separate container for basting. Pour into a ziploc baggie, add meat and allow to marinate for at least one hour. This marinade is an excellent choice for chicken, beef or salmon.





No comments:

Post a Comment