Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Quinoa

Quinoa
 Quinoa (pronounced "quin-wa") is my favorite salad base. And it really takes a food up a notch when Teri Rialto claims it's her favorite dietary fiber. (Yes, SNL is HUGE in our house!)

I don't know that I'd had quinoa before my sister-in-law and nieces made a quinoa salad for a family get-together about two years ago. The salad is still a favorite in my house and the quickest way to use leftover grilled chicken.

Quinoa Salad with Chicken and Basil Pesto
Prepare quinoa as directed (I prefer the quinoa that Trader Joe's sells)

After quinoa has cooled, combine with the following:
Basil Pesto
Chopped chicken
Crumbled feta
Halved cherry or plum tomatoes
Sliced basil

Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve. I usually make a double batch because my family loves this salad....and it's even better the next day after the flavors have blended.
Quinoa Salad with Chicken and Basil Pesto

Pinterest is my new favorite place to find recipes. "Presentation is everything" is an old adage in my house, so when I see a pretty picture, I add it to my "Something to Try" board. When it's a pretty picture AND there's quinoa in the salad...yum!
 Strawberry Quinoa Salad

In a large bowl combine:
Quinoa, prepared as directed and cooled
Strawberries
Feta
Mint
Scallions or green onions
Walnuts, toasted
Baby salad greens
Lemon Honey Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Pour dressing over salad and toss. Chill before serving.



Lemon Honey Vinaigrette:
4 tbsp olive oil (plus a little more to drizzle on at the end)
4 tbsp lemon juice (plus a little more to squeeze on at the end)
2 tbsp champagne vinegar (if not available, white wine vinegar may be used)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp honey
salt & pepper
 Whisk or blend in processor (I used my Magic Bullet)

Again, this is a salad that tastes great the next day, as well. The greens get a little wilted, but it does not take away from the delicious flavor.

Strawberry Quinoa Salad
The key to both of these salads - any salad, really - is to not get caught up in amounts, or even ingredients. Salads can be delicious meals, in and of themselves. Be creative and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment